We have started new website of Reference Notes where you will find Notes, Question Paper, Solution, Old is Gold, Educational Software of all level. The location is www.MeroSpark.com . We are transferring all content from here to our new site.

Old Question Paper 2065 - Compulsory English Class 11

English
Old is Gold | English
Old Question Paper of Compulsory English
Grade: XI | Year: 2065 (2008)
Sub. Code: 002 ‘D’ 

Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable. The figures in the margin indicate full marks. 

Time:- 3 hrs. Full Marks:- 100  | Pass Marks:- 35

Attempt all the questions. 

1. a. Put the following words in alphabetical order: 3 
Contact, Content, Context, Continue, Continent, Contest 

b. In which quarter of the dictionary will you find the following words? 2 
i) dwell ii) orphan iii) socket iv) hive 

2. a. Put the words in correct order in order to make a sensible sentences: 3 
i) his/he/to/had/dinner/started/just/eat 
ii) of/he/him/cup/asked/give/a/to 
iii) a/she/hospital/hoped/in/doctor/become/to/a 

b. Rewrite the following sentences choosing the correct word from the pair given in the brackets: 2 
i) I would advise strongly ..… you to use the dictionary. (advise/advice) 
ii) He arranged to see her ……… in the day. (later/latter) 
iii) That man cannot read or write: he is ………….. (literate/illiterate) 
iv) She said she was ….….. in playing volleyball. (interested/interesting) 

3. Write a dialogue between two friends who are talking about the plans. 5 

4. Answer any two of the following questions: 2×10=20 
a. Sketch the character of Helen. (The Gardener) 
b. Describe what the essay tells us about women and marriage. (Look at a Tea Cup) 
c. Drawing ideas from ‘The Nightmare Life Without Fuel’ and using your own, discuss what will happen if the fuel resources of the world are finished. (2) 


5. Answer any three of the following questions: 3×5=15 
a. What made Armando think that someone was going to rob him? (Fear) 
b. Describe two obstacles Old Phoenix comes-up against on her way to the hospital and how she deals with them. (A Worn Path) 
c. What popular misconceptions about migraine headache does Didion want to correct? (In Bed) 
d. Would you call Supriya a betrayer? Give reasons for your answer. (Malini) 

6. Read the following passage and answer the questions given below: 5×2=10 
It was the first photograph that I had ever seen, and it fascinate me. I can remember holding it at every angle in order to catch the flickering light from the oil lamp on the dresser. The man in the photograph was unsmiling, but I felt that I knew him. One evening when I was looking at the photograph, as I always did before I went to sleep, I noticed a shadow across the man’s thin face. I moved the photograph so that the shadow lay perfectly around his hollow checks. How different he looked! That night I could not sleep, thinking about the letter that I would write. First, I would tell him that I was eleven years old, and that if he had a little girl of my age, she could write to me instead of him. I knew that he was very busy man. Then I would explain to him the real purpose of my letter. I would tell him how wonderful he looked with the shadow that I had seen across his photograph, and I would most carefully suggest that he grow whiskers. Four months later when I met him at the train station near my home in Westfield, New York, he was wearing a full beard. He was so much taller than I had imagined from my tiny photograph. “Ladies and gentlemen”, he said, “I have no speech to make and no time to make it in. I appear before you that I may see you and that you may see me”. The he picked me right up and kissed me on both cheeks. The whiskers scratched. “Do you think I look better, my little friend?” he asked me. My name is Grace Bedell, and the man in the photograph was Abraham Lincoln. 

Questions: 
a) How did the man in the photograph look? 
b) Why could not the writer sleep that night? 
c) What would she write in the letter? 
d) What difference did she find in the man from his photograph? 
e) What did the man say in his speech? 

7. Answer any two of the following questions in about 200 words each: 2×10=20 
a. Write a short travel magazine article on your village or town or any other place of your choice. 
b. Write in short about someone whose plans went horribly wrong. 
c. Write a letter to your friend describing a difficult situation you are going through at the moment. 

8. Using the information below, write a sentence each in the passive: 5 
a. Mona Lisa, Leonardo da Vinci, paint 
b. Penicilin, Alexender Fleming, discover 
c. The Pyrimids, ancient Egiptians, build 
d. The Singh Durbar, the Rana regime, build 
e. Muna Madan, Devkota, wrote 

9. Give suggestion to each of these people: 5 
a. I don’t seem to be able to lose weight. 
b. I can’t get to sleep at night. 
c. I am madly in love with Sita, but she won’t even look at me. 
d. My car won’t start. 
e. I missed my classes. 

10. What will you say in the following situations, write as indicated: 5 
a. You want your mother to wake you up in the morning. (making a request
b. You want your friend to return a library book for you. (making a request) 
c. You are staying at your uncle’s house. You want to invite your friends over there. (asking for permission) 
d. Your friend looks thirsty. (making an offer) 
e. Your friend hasn’t seen much of your place. (making an offer) 

11. Fill in the blanks with in, on or at. 5 
a. Have you got an electric blanket ………….. your bed? I‘ve got a hot-water-bottle ……….. mine. 
b. There’s a ticket machine ……………. the entrance to the car park. 
c. Kathmandu is situated …………… Bagmati Zone. 
d. In summer, there are always flies ……….. the kitchen ceiling. 


Read This Also:

Don't forget to Like, Share and Comment. Please join with us on Facebook and Google+ or subscribe email updates for daily Notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to Comment. If you want any Notes, Guides or Information Write on Comment Box.